Electrical engineers are professionals that undertake design, construction, commissioning and maintenance of electrical systems and machines used in power generation, electricity distribution, communications, process control, manufacturing and lighting applications (DEEWR 2013).
Applicants shall have a minimum of five years’ work experience, as an electrical engineer, in areas such as:
- Design, install, maintain and operate equipment and systems used in large electrical power generation plant in connection with coal-fired and hydro-type power stations.
- Manage the processes applicable to ensure the safe, stable, reliable and economic generation of electrical energy using conventional and/or renewable methods.
- Design, install, maintain and operate equipment and systems used in the transmission and distribution of electricity across Australia’s electricity network.
- Manage the processes applicable to ensure the safe, reliable and economic transmission and distribution of electrical energy across Australia’s electricity network.
- Interpret and apply relevant Australian Standards and international standards during the design of electrical systems and components.
- Review and propose amendments to relevant Australian Standards and international standards.
- Oversee the installation, commissioning and maintenance of generators, turbines, electrical drives, motors, transformers, bus bars, switchboards and control systems.
- Design electrical systems consisting of main switchboards, distribution boards and electrical cabling.
- Design and maintain lighting systems for office complexes, shopping centres, hospitals, stadiums, train stations, roadways, airfields and tunnels.
- Design and maintain electrical signalling for railways.
- Design and oversee the manufacture of electrical components and electronic systems.
- Installation and programming of SCADA and PLC systems to ensure control of process plant and assembly lines.
- Participate in detailed engineering design involving application of theory, mathematical calculations, writing of specifications and drafting of drawings specific to electrical components, cables, systems and major electrical engineering infrastructure.
- Adhere to applicable electrical engineering processes and practices to ensure realisation of products and services.
- Evaluate electrical design solutions against the requirements of original specifications.
- Write plans, standards, procedures, work instructions and forms.
- Investigate and document the causes of major electrical failure, and provide subsequent recommendations on how to eliminate future occurrences of failure.
- Specify, evaluate and purchase engineering products and services.
- Improve existing engineering products, processes and services.
- Create an awareness of new electrical and electronic technology and where applicable, attain intellectual property rights.
- Liaise with civil, mechanical and structural engineers to ensure optimum integration of electrical systems with other services.
(AusIMM 2013, DEEWR 2013, Engineers Australia 2013, IBISWorld 2012, IET 2013).