Information/Telecommunications professionals develop, modify, test and support computer software, hardware and communication technologies. Their work may encompass software applications, databases, websites, mission critical systems, networks, servers, personal computers and peripheral devices (IBISWorld 2013). A vast number of roles are covered by RPEng accreditation in information and telecommunications. These include communications engineer, network engineer, software engineer, computer systems engineer, systems engineer, analyst programmer and software architect.
Applicants shall have a minimum of five years’ work experience, as an information technology/telecommunications professional, in areas such as:
- Research and develop antennas, waveguides and satellite dishes.
- Research and develop wireless and cable communications systems.
- Research and develop digital signal processing technologies ensuring faster data transfer rates and higher quality voice communications.
- Review existing wireless and cable communications services used by business and draft reports recommending alternate products in order to improve the level of service at a lower cost.
- Interpret client documentation and prepare hardware requirements specifications for use by hardware engineers.
- Design computer and communications systems based on the functional requirements detailed in hardware requirements specifications.
- Review existing computer hardware and software infrastructure within companies and propose new systems in order to gain competitive advantages through automation, productivity and process streamlining.
- Develop and test mission-critical systems composed of hardware and software.
- Interpret client documentation and prepare software requirements specifications for use by software engineers.
- Draft and apply waterfall models, spiral models, Nassi-Schneiderman models, use case diagrams and activity flow diagrams in the development of software applications.
- Design software applications based on the functional requirements in software requirements specifications.
- Install, configure and develop database systems and front end applications to satisfy the information management needs of businesses.
- Adhere to applicable processes and practices to ensure realisation of information technology products and services.
- Evaluate information technology and telecommunications design solutions against the requirements of original specifications.
- Specify, evaluate and purchase information technology and telecommunications products and services.
- Improve existing information technology and telecommunications products, processes and services.
- Create an awareness of new technology and where applicable, attain intellectual property rights.
- Analyse and automate paper-based business processes in order to achieve increases in productivity and reductions in costs.
(AusIMM 2013, DEEWR 2013, Engineers Australia 2013, IBISWorld 2012, IET 2013).