Mechanical engineers are those engineering professionals who plan, design, install, operate and maintain mechanical machines and systems that may include cranes, weigh bridges, lifts, conveyors, air conditioning plants, production plants, ventilation systems, lathes, hoppers, pipelines and wind turbines, and manufacturing systems. (DEEWR 2013).
Applicants shall have a minimum of five years’ work experience, as a mechanical engineer, in areas such as:
- Plan, design and supervise the manufacture and installation of cranes, weighbridges, lifts, conveyors, air conditioning plants, production plants, robotics, ventilation systems, lathes, hoppers, pipelines and wind turbines.
- Maintenance management of existing mechanical plant and equipment.
- Interpret and apply relevant Australian legislation, Australian Standards and International Standards during the design of mechanical systems.
- Participate in detailed engineering design involving application of theory, mathematical calculations, writing of specifications and drafting of mechanical drawings specific to mechanical components, machinery and plant.
- Perform computer-simulated modelling and analyse resultant data on reaction of key mechanical systems subjected to loads and natural forces.
- Adhere to applicable mechanical engineering processes and practices to ensure realisation of products and services.
- Evaluate mechanical design solutions against the requirements of original specifications.
- Supervise para-professionals, technicians and mechanical tradespeople during the manufacture and installation of mechanical systems.
- Assess the condition of existing mechanical machinery and write reports highlighting recommendations on safety, maintenance, remaining life expectancy and replacement.
- Write plans, standards, procedures, work instructions and forms.
- Review and propose amendments to relevant Australian legislation, Australian Standards and International Standards.
- Investigate and document the causes of mechanical failure, and provide subsequent recommendations on how to eliminate future occurrences of failure.
- Specify, evaluate and purchase engineering products and services.
- Improve existing engineering products, processes and services.
- Create an awareness of new mechanical technology and where applicable, attain intellectual property rights.
- Liaise with civil, structural and electrical engineers to ensure optimum integration of mechanical systems with other services.
(AusIMM 2013, DEEWR 2013, Engineers Australia 2013, IBISWorld 2012, IET 2013).